Tuesday, November 6, 2007

"Borrowed Navigation Project" Follow Up

I recently completed my "Borrowed Navigation Project" and was both interested and surprised with what I ended up getting out of it: new ideas for my project. (To view this project more in depth, please visit http://www.joelmertz.net/borrowed.htm). The concept of directly interacting with the physical space of an urban landscape seemed to be more interesting to my peers then the idea I had planned for my project initially. I have seen a great deal of exciting work that has been created in this area of art. Graffiti Research Lab is one such organization that comes to mind. The possibility of dealing with projectors, GPS navigation systems, and other tools like video and photography have suddenly entered the picture for me.



With such variables entering the equation of my final project however, I feel as though I would have to start over almost entirely in regards to my thought process. It's a frustrating prospect, but one I am willing to explore if I begin to find something that interests me in going with this direction. I feel as though I seldom have the opportunity to really explore my own ideas though. This year provides an opportunity for me to do just that. The drawing I've begun (my initial idea) is such a natural process for me. It flows along without a hitch. I want to express the types of colors and shapes within my drawing to others because they are so inherently within me, and they represent my own, personal view of the world.

No comments: