Sunday, November 11, 2007

Artist Statement, Revisited


I am still working on refining and creating a compelling artist statement. It's difficult to articulate your work into words, but I feel the more I work with it, the better I'm getting. Here's the latest version of my artist statement. If you know anything about artist statements or my work, posting any comments here would be very appreciated! Thanks.

Artist Statement Revisited:

I am creating work that is readily accessible to the public, regardless of their background or experience in art. I strive to depict urban spaces that we are all familiar with. Through the use of color, layering and movement however, I aim at representing these spaces in a new and exciting way that compels the viewer to explore the landscape of the canvas.

I have never been proficient in drawing subjects accurately. From this limitation however, my own style has come forward. Discernible by unique shapes, blocks of bold color and a minimal use of line, my compositions tend to build themselves much like any city would: one piece at a time.

Humans are an integral part of the urban landscape. However, I am portraying only the buildings they’ve constructed. In this way, I hope to pose certain questions to the viewer that reveals something about human nature. Why are we naturally compelled to build and construct on such a large scale for instance? What are the impacts and environmental implications of this?

Having recently visited China, I am very interested in the answers to such questions. In Shanghai for instance, massive skyscrapers and towering blocks of concrete are springing up from the ground on nearly a daily basis. I want to illustrate this in my work by portraying an urban landscape on a truly massive scale. This size will work well in a gallery space, make for an exciting and eye catching piece and will also hopefully make the viewer consider the environmental significance of building on such a large scale.

No comments: