Thursday, May 1, 2008

SUS Stories and My Latest Thoughts

Currently, the Shared Urban Space project is nearing 800 photos and 200 participants. I am still happy with my decision to abandon the slide projectors. They are not fitting to a project that utilizes so many newer technologies. This project needs to grow, not be permanently archived with expensive slides. I really see the exhibition of this project as an opportunity to inspire more people to get involved with SUS, and perhaps it will grow in unexpected ways as these new people join.

I have decided that there needs to be audio for my exhibit. To make this part of the project successful, I have begun asking for audio files sent in as email attachments from SUS participants. In these audio files, the photographers are asked to talk about an image they have submitted to SUS, or there thoughts on urban photography in general. To see this latest development in the project please visit: http://joelmertz.net/projects/sus/susStories.htm

Getting these audio files has been a very trying task. Using flickr, I have individually emailed every participant of the project asking them personally to send in an audio file. It's been a bit comical, because after every 10 emails sent the program forces you to quit sending letters as a precaution against spamming. So I have to wait ten minutes before sending out another 10 emails or so. I have received about 5 audio files so far, and they are truly amazing. I had no idea how dramatic it would be to have these stories from around the world played in succession. I am very grateful to the handful of people that have sent in their audio files. Thank you!

No comments: