Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Switch to SUS

The mural/drawing part of my project has been... ELIMINATED! This was a major decision, but it was an idea I've been toying with for awhile now. I am now focusing entirely on my Shared Urban Spaces Project (SUS). As a reminder, this is an online project I began at the beginning of winter term. Shared Urban Spaces is comprised of ten "photo assignments" pertaining to urban areas. For example, assignment one is: "Take a picture of a security camera." The project asks participants to send in photos that complete one of the ten assignments. The photos are then displayed into online galleries. To visit the project, click here.

The reasons for abandoning the drawing/mural are as follows:
1. The two projects together are too much work.
2. Two projects costs more money than one.
3. The projects don't relate.
4. Shared Urban Space is more interesting.
5. Shared Urban Space has received a more positive response.
6. The drawing/mural is just a drawing/mural.
7. I feel that SUS is challenging me more as an artist.
8. The drawing/mural is safe. It is based on something I've been doing for quite some time: drawing.

It is exciting and much less stressful to now have to only deal with the problems relating to one of the projects. The largest problem I have to deal with now is determining how to present the 600 photos (this number is still growing!) from the SUS project in a gallery setting. One idea I have is to display the photos in a single row that goes around the walls of the "bay area." This would be a successful strategy in some ways, because the bay areas are massive in size (60' x 20'). A single row of the photos would easily fill up the space I have available (see below).


Photos displayed in single row that goes around the walls.

No comments: