Wednesday, February 6, 2008

City Taking Over the Walls

My latest idea for my final project is to stick with the drawing style I have been working with; flat shapes, lots of colors, lots of overlapping and clutter; but somehow have this style of drawing TAKE OVER a section of the gallery. I already have a lot of the city drawn, but now what? How do I get the drawing to cover the walls, to essentially "grow" on the walls? Here are a few ideas I have come up with:


1. Vinyl.

Pros:
(1) Vinyl stickers can be cut into interesting shapes. (2) It would be easy to collage vinyl stickers. (3) I could continue working only on computers. The drawing is all digital right now, so this would help with consistency for the project.
Cons:
(1) I would have to use someone's vinyl cutter A LOT. (2) I would perhaps have to buy my own vinyl cutter (after researching prices, I've found most are just under $1000).

2. Custom Wall Paper.
Pros: (1) Wall paper covers spaces entirely. (2) I could work all digitally and not have to worry about incorporating other mediums.
Cons: (1) Very expensive. (2) Wall paper is only rectangular, which I'm trying to get away from.

3. Acrylic Paint.
Pros:
(1) Paint would have a very nice look and texture to it. (2) If I used a projector to help me paint, I could create a very precise and geometric appearance for the piece, which is not very common in acrylic paintings.
Cons:
(1) Extremely time consuming. (2) Difficult to get precise edges. (3) Expensive. That's a lot of acrylic paint!

4. All Prints.
Pros:
(1) Prints can be cut into interesting shapes. (3) Again, the advantage of being able to continue to work entirely on computers.
Cons:
(2) Expensive. Printing large high quality posters costs a lot.

5. Combination:
Pros: (1) Advantages of both prints and painting. (2) More urban, city feel perhaps. Like something you might find plastered on the side of a building. (3) Might be cheaper than only large, high quality prints.
Cons: None. I like this idea best I've decided, and I'm tired of writing.

No comments: