Tuesday, October 23, 2007

"Borrowed Navigation Project"

To begin looking at my final project from a different perspective, I've created an assignment for myself. I'm calling this performance, "Borrowed Navigation Project." I will be exploring a random city using random directions given to me by anyone who wishes to do so. The concept is inspired by Guy Debord and his book, "The Society of the Spectacle". My journey into the great unknown will be documented via video and still images, and will be commencing this Thursday, October 25th at an undisclosed location. You can post me a direction to follow at a message board I've set up online (no longer availble). Or, if you wish to give me a direction during the actual day of the project, I will be accepting text messages all Thursday @ 503.419.7765. If you chose to post a direction I will be using it in my performance.

I hope that this experience will lead me to areas of a city I would not have otherwise found. I also help to gain a greater sense of the city as a physical space; one that can be mapped, charted, and recreated to fit an entirely new and different space.

No comments: